the 1523 Project
The ancient world of Eastern Long Island.
Mapping. History. Science. Artifacts. Museums.
The 1523 Project is a scientific association dedicated to mapping the ancient landscape of Eastern Long Island. Since 2019 we have been working with the region's top archeologists, historical researchers, scientists and Native Tribes.
Ephraim Horowitz, former president of the Suffolk County Archeological Association and founder of the 1523 Project is a filmmaker and photographer. He has been working with Shane Weeks and Chief Harry Wallace to tell stories that
have been forgotten by time.
The map above shows that Eastern Long Island was a large interconnected area with many villages and ceremonial sites. Fish, ducks, oysters, clams, whales, seals, sturgeon and more were available in great numbers. Deer, turkey, bear, coyotes, wolves and moose were hunted. People needed only 2-3 hours a day to work. Their time was filled with family gatherings, sports, boating, games, songs, dances, art and craftwork. Native homes were warm and dry. European people described their food as delicious and healthy. People lived into their 70's with many living to 100. Some people grew to seven feet tall. The Indigenous People of the Twin Forks lived in a Garden of Eden that lasted from at least 12,500 years ago to the arrival of Europeans in 1523 A.D.